Skip to main content

IN LOVE ?

 This drum has been beating

for the past hour
inside my chest,
keeping my hand warm
within my fiancé’s.

His right hand rests
on the steering wheel.
Locked in.

I’m in love with this man,
I repeat
like a parrot,
over and over,
trying to grow comfortable
inside the words.

Words I’ll soon announce
to the world,
claiming you as mine
like nothing has changed.

Like the bruised skin
beneath my dress
doesn’t still ache
from this afternoon.

How bold of you
to dress me up like a present
before taking me
to meet my parents,
your fingerprints
still fading beneath my sleeves.

And somehow,
between traffic lights
and your hand squeezing mine,
I almost convince myself
this is what love
is supposed to feel like.


Comments

  1. I don't even know what to say except that this poem completely stopped me. The ending re - framed everything that came before it, and I felt my heart sink with each new image. Thank you for sharing something so powerful and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment